Big Reform in Telecom Sector: In the meeting of the Union Cabinet held on Wednesday, the decision has been taken after a long review in this sector. Many decisions are directly related to the common people.
The central government has taken major decisions regarding reforms in the telecom sector. A big decision in this is also to end the license raj in the telecom sector. In the meeting of the Union Cabinet held on Wednesday, the decision has been taken after a long review in this sector. Many decisions are directly related to the common people.
Whatever documents were to be given while taking a new SIM or telephone connection, they will no longer have to be given. The forms which used to be filled manually, will also no longer have to be filled. Almost all the work and processes will now be done online. The process of KYC will also be online now. This is considered an important step in the direction of digitizing the telecom sector.
Union IT and Telecom Minister Ashwini Vaishnav said that the license raj is being abolished in this sector. Roads are being made easier for common people and companies. Almost all the processes are being digitised. Most of the work related to this sector will now be online.
Important decisions of the government towards digitization:
- To get a new SIM or connection, a copy of the document will not have to be given.
- All the papers that had to be given while taking the SIM, now will not have to be given.
- Aadhaar number will be enough, KYC will be done in digital way.
- All forms will be digitized in warehouses.
- KYC in the telecom sector will now be completely online.
- Approval from many departments is not necessary for setting up the tower.
- At the primary level, the work will be done only with self-approval.
- Approval will be available from the same portal of Telecom Department.
Easy to setup tower
The government has also made the process of setting up towers very easy for telecom companies. Earlier, where the approval of different departments was used in the process of setting up the tower, now it will not be done. Now self approval will work. As far as departmental approval is concerned, it will now be available from the same portal of the Department of Telecom (DoT). It is clear that the intention of the government has been to end the license raj in this process as well and that is why such big decisions were taken in the cabinet meeting.